Now mid week kick offs have notoriously been unpopular with most of the players over the years. After a hard day at work or uni, one has to rush to get to the club to be there on time for the kick off. Like the reliable punctual unit that we are, we all ensured we got there on time for the big game. Except of course for the man who held the key to the clubhouse, Andy. Needless to say this caused mass panic an anxiety, as kick off time arrived and we were still stuck outside the club in the rain. Most of the lads opted to change outside the club house to save time. Eventually we saw a silhouette of someone in the distance, no, in fact two people. It was Andy strolling down the pathway holding hands with a rather large young lady in a polka dot dress and braces. Both sipping on strawberry milkshakes as they enjoyed the fresh air.

To cut a story short, we eventually got Andy to break away and run and get the club house open, despite his new budding romance! We however managed to get the posts and nets up in record time, to kick off 15 minutes late.

From the off we dominated, playing swift, crisp passing football, keeping the Old Parks defence on the back foot. Continued pressure won us a free kick 20 yards out on the 10 minute mark. Young Angelo, confidently picked the ball up to take the kick and just as confidently dipped his free kick past the wall and into the back of the net! Great goal.

As the half progressed our confidence grew and grew. We also started racking up the chances to score, with Andy, Angelo and Wayne going close with great efforts.

Our continued pressure paid off when a great passing move, cross from Chris Manning and clinical finish by Andy gave us a two goal lead.

Old Parks were not yet beaten and managed to pull a goal back with a penalty which Scott nearly nearly kept out the net, unlucky Scott! Although we should have been three or four goals up at this stage, we started riding our luck and nearly let Old parks back in the game with a couple of opportunities they should have scored with. But our team never rolled over, we kept on fighting and we put the game to rest when James calmly stroked home a penalty after a terrible challenge by a Old parks defender.

The victory was secured. Well done boys. What looked like a nightmare season, turned out to be positive as we secured 7 wins in league and cup in the second half of the season. Hopefully we can take that improved form through into the new season.

See you all next year!

7th Team / Match Reports